Henry County Library System
Conduct in Libraries Policy
The Library Board of Trustees has approved the following policies to provide a suitable environment for Library use, and to ensure safety and security of the staff and patrons:
- Everyone is welcome in the Library. Parents or guardians must be responsible for the conduct and safety of those under their care.
- Unattended personal belongings are not the Library’s responsibility, and if not retrieved by their owners are subject to disposal.
- Library furnishings and equipment available for public use must be used only for their intended purpose.
- Library materials must be properly checked out at the circulation desk. Certain materials, such as (but not limited to) reference books, periodicals marked ”Non-Circulating” or “Reference,” materials may not be checked out or removed from the library.
- The Library reserves the right to inspect any and all bags, briefcases, containers, books, backpacks, and any other similar items.
- Library telephones are for library business only. In consideration of other patrons, Library staff will not page patrons except in an emergency.
- Cell phone users are requested to respect the rights of other library patrons, holding their conversations in the lobby or outside the building.
- Library materials not in use by patrons should be returned to staff or to designated areas to be reshelved, or left on reading tables. Library staff is responsible for reshelving materials not in current use. Staff will scan all library materials using “in-house use” designation.
- Electronic personal entertainment devices are permitted if their use does not disturb other Library patrons.
- Patrons are welcome to use their own computers in the library using wireless internet service; patrons are welcome to use this service, but limited technical support is available.
The unacceptable conduct includes but is not limited to:
- Behavior which may disturb other patrons, including but not limited to: loud talking, running, shoving, throwing objects, and physical or verbal harassment or threats.
- Entering the library without proper attire, conforming to the standard of the community for public places, including shoes and shirts. Patrons whose personal hygiene is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons shall be required to leave the building.
- Damage, destruction, theft or improper use of library property or facilities, or the property of employees or other patrons.
- Taking library materials into restrooms.
- Changing clothes or bathing in restrooms.
- Entering non-public areas such as staff work rooms, offices, and storage areas without authorization.
- Animals, except service animals, unless authorized.
- Any form of sexual misconduct, including exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of other patrons or staff. At the discretion of staff law enforcement may be called.
- Using obscene or abusive language or performing abusive or obscene acts.
- Selling, advertising, petitioning, or soliciting for contributions or support, except as authorized.
- Distributing or posting printed materials or literature without prior approval by the Library.
- Any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
- Unauthorized or unscheduled group meetings or activities.
- Consumption of food and/or beverages, except in approved areas or by prior arrangement.
- Any use of any form of tobacco, alcohol, or illegal substances or drugs. At the discretion of staff law enforcement may be called.